Crossing the Wallkill River here in Montgomery, New York is the historic Ward’s Bridge. It is named after James Ward, an early settler in the area who built the ﬁrst bridge here in the mid 18th century as well as his grist mill that has long since been gone. The Village of Montgomery was originally called “Ward’s Bridge,” but eventually came to be known as Montgomery after Richard Montgomery, the Revolutionary War major general who died in a failed attempt to invade Canada.
James Ward built the bridge in order to access his mill from both sides of the Wallkill River. It was one of the earliest bridges constructed in the area and has been rebuilt several times throughout the years with the most recent one being built in 1940.