This historic church in New York City has a special place in the city’s history.
Peter Stuyvesant, New York’s last Dutch governor, had the ﬁrst church built here in 1660 in what was then just farmland. The current late-Georgian church was built in 1799 to replace his chapel. It is New York’s oldest site of continuous religious practice and also the city’s second-oldest chapel after St. Paul’s Chapel. Stuyvesant’s burial vault is also located underneath the church with other notable burials such as the Vice President under James Monroe, Daniel Tompkins.
NY Ghosts report of a mysterious woman who has been seen lingering in the pews and balcony that upon approaching, vanishes into thin air.
Given the historical significance of St. Mark’s church and cemetery, it is both a New York City Landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.