This historic house beside the Wallkill River in Montgomery, New York stands on an area settled by Philip Millspaugh in 1734. The original section of the house was constructed by Millspaughs circa 1800. In 1870, the farm was sold to James W. Brown. Brown had made his wealth selling food and supplies to gold miners in California before returning to New York, where he purchased the farm from Catherine Millspaugh. In 1891, Brown gifted the house to his daughter, Anna Curtis, as a wedding present for her and her new husband, Jonathan Mills Hawkins. Hawkins remodeled the house with Victorian and Queen Anne styles. The contractor, Chauncy Brooks, added a large addition with 6 rooms and an indoor bathroom which was a luxury at the time. A new roof was placed over the original gambrel roof and a tower added where Hawkins could survey the surrounding farm. Within the tower, a lantern was hung there that could be seen miles around during the night. At the farm, Hawkins raised sheep, grew potatoes and also peaches, which led to him naming the farm Peachcroft.
This historic site, which is registered on the National Register of Historic Places has remained in the Hawkins family.
Old Houses of Hanover: Historic Sites of the Town of Montgomery, Orange County, New York
National Register of Historic Places