This ill-fated architectural beauty was built in 1868 in a mixture of High Victorian and Northern and Italian Gothic styles. Frederick Clarke Withers designed the bank and patterned it after George Gilbert Scott’s “palatial style”, a style which Scott had expounded and recommended for bank architecture in his book Remarks on Secular and Domestic Architecture.
Sadly, the bank would share the fate of 1,300 other buildings during Newburgh’s disastrous Urban Renewal effort. In November of 1970, Wither’s gothic masterpiece was demolished.
Lost Newburgh: The Tragedy of Urban Renewal, Part 2
The Architecture of Frederick Clarke Withers by Francis Kowsky