This historic stone house on the Dwaarkill was possibly built as early as 1740. Nathaniel Hill of County Antrim, Ireland was granted 800 acres by the crown in 1735 and traveled to the New World, where he built this farmhouse that is influenced by Hudson Valley Dutch techniques. Hills would stay in the home, but Nathaniel Hill would later move into his famous Brick House by 1768.
The Hill family would prosper with the sale of apple jack whiskey, so the entire acreage of the property was once set for apple trees. In order to supply water power for grinding the apples, the Hills damned the Dwaarkill, making twin ponds on both sides of the long lane from the country road. For many years, their product was advertised as “James Hill Whisky.”
An original barn was on site until 1936, when lightning set it on fire.