Samuel Brewster built this simple ﬁeldstone house in New Windsor, New York in 1762. As a fervent Patriot, Brewster allowed the house to be used for oﬃcer’s quarters during the Revolutionary War. A surviving order from Washington reads: “A sergeant, corporal and twelve privates to be sent immediately as a guard to Lord Stirling’s quarters at Deacon Brewster’s one and a half miles north of General Knox’s quarters.”
Rumours have persisted about the Brewster House being haunted with employee reports of hearing footsteps upstairs during times when nobody else is there.
This historic house is now currently Schlesinger’s Steak House and has been enlarged with additional space having been added on the front, roof, and sides, the location serves as a popular restaurant and cigar bar.